Waking up in America!

Fifteen years ago today, I woke up at my new 'home' in Santa Monica, California, USA. I was still jet lagged. It felt odd to see palm trees when I looked out the window. It was also much warmer than I was used to this time of the year. Helicopters circled over the buildings and along the beach looking for anyone and anything suspicious as the terror attacks of 9/11 only happened 11 days earlier.




I was confronted with a lot of unknowns:
Will I like living here?
Will terrorists attack Los Angeles?
Will I find new friends soon?
Will I get very homesick?
Will I be able to get into and through university?
Will I stay here forever or will I go back to Europe in a few years?

All of these questions plagued me for weeks after moving to California. I felt very lonely most of the time. Yes, I spoke and understood English. Yes, I lived in an amazing neighborhood just a five minute walk from the beach. However, all of that doesn't automatically make you feel happy and 'at home'. It was a process that ended up taking nearly five years. Five years of gut-wrenching homesickness, feelings of not belonging and determination of not giving up.

Bit by bit, I found my way. I navigated through college. I purchased a car. I gave up wearing only black and dared to wear color. Black clothes make you really stand out in such a colorful place. I learned to speak up when I wanted something and also didn't. I also learned to not take any shit!

On September 22nd, 2001, I had no clue that I was going to stay in America for 10 years and even take U.S. citizenship! The first five years were really challenging. The last five years were absolutely amazing. There are always ups and downs but the biggest lesson I learned was that it 'the unknown' may open up a whole new world that I may not have experienced if I played it safe all the time. Sometimes you just have to go with it without knowing the outcome. A decision doesn't always have to be permanent. You can change direction along the way. The only mistake you can make is not trying!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made in Styria - Improved in California: Ich über mich

No one should ever have to appologize for their accomplishments

Repatriation Nation