Looks, diets and bone removal

--> Life by the beach and in the movie capital of the world brought one additional factor into my life that would eventually take up more time of my daily life than I could ever have anticipated: body image – and the issues and maintenance that came with it.

When I first moved to L.A., I couldn’t grasp why people cared so much about how they looked and all the effort they put into healthy eating habits. It seemed like a lot of unnecessary work. I was not going to let myself get influenced by the constant media propaganda of what women were supposed to look like. Perfect hair. Perfect teeth. Perfect nails. Perfect body. To me, the women all looked the same – an exaggerated version of themselves somewhere between a Barbie and a blow-up doll. Big boobs, big lips, tight butt, tiny waist. I thought they were crazy, unoriginal and unauthentic. I soon learned that authenticity was not a concern for Angelinos. Fake was accepted and often even expected.

However, over time, I started to feel pressured from all sides. I never noticed the flood of images of  ‘perfectionism’ and advertising on how to achieve this perfectionism before but suddenly they were everywhere. Weight-loss programs. Weight-loss pills. Organic juices. Better workouts in $100 yoga pants. Ads for yoga retreats to find your inner beauty while shaping the outside. The Atkins Diet. The low carb diet. The no carb diet. Weightwatchers. Jenny Craig. The soup diet. The fruit diet. Diets. Diets. Diets. I tried to follow a Slim Fast meal plan once. For breakfast: a cup of coffee and a piece of toast. For lunch: a Slim Fast chocolate shake and an apple. For dinner: a Slim Fast strawberry shake and a yogurt. I went to bed insanely hungry. The next morning, I felt queasy. I got up and made my morning coffee, which was part of the diet plan. I took one sip and ran to the bathroom to throw up. That was the end of my protein shake diet. I was appalled at how shameless the diet industry was. One diet plan ‘provider’ used the terror attacks of 9/11 to make a kindergartener realize that if another attack came, she will not be able to help the kids because she was obese. So following their diet plan, she lost x-amount of pounds in fear of another 9/11. For the kids. Of course.

I also started becoming more aware of all the beauty trends too. My neighbor was obsessing over antioxidants. I still don’t know what the hell those are. But that was one of the non-invasive trends – or fads – of the time. It got weirder and outright dangerous with other trends. The most perplexing one in my opinion was related to footwear. Around 2004-2007, it was trendy to wear very narrow and pointed shoes. So narrow in fact, that most normal feet didn’t fit in these shoes unless you were sitting all the time with no pressure on the foot. Plastic surgery was prevalent in L.A. and was naturally offering a solution for this problem as well. And this was when plastic surgery took a turn for the scary. Plastic surgeons started offering surgeries to remove bones from your toes so you can fit the narrow stilettos. Are you serious? It just seemed insane to do that. But apparently not in L.A. There was no public outcry. However, as far as I was aware, the trend did not catch on. Rare signs of sanity in this town.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made in Styria - Improved in California: Ich über mich

No one should ever have to appologize for their accomplishments

Repatriation Nation