And the Naked, Bold Golden Man Goes to... - It's Oscar Day


The day that Hollywood is waiting for all year has finally come. It's Oscar Day! Or more officially - the day of the Academy Awards. Actors, actresses, gowns, suits, pasties, double-sided tape, a copious number of real and fake smiles, and many, many starved bodies.

Yes it's cheesy, yes it's unattainable for the regular Joe Shmoe to attend BUT it's also fun just to watch! Probably more for women and the gays. Sorry (straight) boys. The excitement is palpable in the entire city of Los Angeles in the days leading up. Maybe even through the entire award season. SAG, Writer's Guild, Golden Globes, Independent Spirit Awards - we love to watch them all.

Yesterday, for the first time in my nine years of living in Los Angeles, I went to the Kodak Theater the day before the actual award show. On the way, I saw a giant mural on the wall in a poorer neighborhood, of the oscar statuette wearing a hoodie. The dream of 'Oscar' lingers within every social group. They call Hollywood the place where dreams are made for a reason. And dreams are encouraged here more than in any other place I've been. When I moved here someone told me that this is the place "where you can be whoever you want to be." While this is certainly not to be taken literal, it took me a while to figure out how to interpret it.
However, after meeting numerous actors, actresses, musicians, writers and others who rely on 'being discovered' and 'breaking through', I finally got it. Huge sacrifices are required by those who want to make it in The Biz. And I marvel at how sure they are they will make it. Not because I don't think they are talented but because they are willing to forsake a stable income (albeit through - in their eyes - a boring job) to chase their dream. They are all talented. But to get noticed in this town seems sheer impossible. They are trying to elbow their way into the spotlight next to so many others. But you can tell by their personality how passionate they are about their dream. They hustle and try and self-market and just never give up. Their energy is incredible. And I admire them for it.

And today, Oscar day, is a representation of that dream. People who have come from very poor backgrounds have made it. People who have busted their asses all their lives finally get to take one home when they are already grandparents. And there are those lucky few who make it because they got that break that everyone else is also hoping for. And watching those stories unfold is what keeps the dreams of those who are watching alive.

And when I wandered the - partially blocked off - hallways of the Kodak Theater I saw swarms of tourists trying to catch a glimpse of what was gonna unfold there the next day. One lady even dressed up in a gown to have her picture taken with one of those little souvenir oscars in front of the Red Carpet. I was giddy like a little girl myself. I've been to the Kodak Theater a million times but it's different when you see the setup for this event. As a child I could only watch a summary of the event the next day because of the time difference. For the past years, I've either been to an Oscar party, hosted one or just simply enjoyed it on the sofa with a glass of wine. I love it!

It's the talk of the town every year. It's enjoyable. And... it keeps you dreaming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made in Styria - Improved in California: Ich über mich

No one should ever have to appologize for their accomplishments

Looks, diets and bone removal