Election 2008


This is an exciting time in political history. A woman and a non-white man are the front runners of the Democratic party. No one is even paying attention to the Republican side at the moment. Yes, I am guilty of being a liberal. I am not allowed to vote but this is still a topic I follow closely.


I still remember the 2004 election vividly. I was still in college at the time. The day of the election no conclusive results were released. The next morning, still nothing. I went to class and called my husband on the way home. He broke the news to me. I cried. Yes, I really cried.


Let me give you my Euro perspective on this issue: What Americans consider liberal is closer to what we call conservatives back home. So imagine how we view American conservatives. Faith-based, pro-gun, pro-death penalty, anti-abortion, etc. It doesn't even make sense - for the 'right to life' but also for the death penalty and guns?? And why hide behind religious views? Or use religion as an excuse to pull oneself out of taking responsibility.


I cried when Bush was re-elected because I thought the war would never end, I would no longer have the right to choose, I would be strip-searched at the airport every time I fly back from Europe, my phone conversations are being listened to (which they certainly will after the government discovers this blog), every nut job would be allowed to buy a gun, the number of Jesus stickers on cars would increase dramatically. In my head I was already packing my bags.


I took political science here in college and was eagerly awaiting to hear an explanation for the events of the 2000 election. Crickets. Even political scholars have no answers. Some say 'that's the system' - other say 'that's what money can buy.'


More disappointing than the outcome of the 2000 and 2004 elections was the apathy of the people. In 2004, the campus at my university was up in arms about getting the vote out. John Kerry was their man. I spotted numerous 'Vote or Die' t-shirts in lecture halls. This was gonna be the election where the youth vote will make all the difference... On the day of the election, I wanted to be a part of the process so badly that I kept asking everyone about whether they voted. Crickets. Excuses from 'I couldn't miss class' to 'I didn't want to get up early' to 'My vote is not gonna make a difference.' I was disillusioned. What happened? All just hot air? I was angry at my fellow students. Especially, because when I voted for my last election back home, I had to drive to the consulate to mail off my ballot. And you can't even get your ass out of bed for this??!! While I blamed the system for the outcome in 2000, I blame the (non) voters for the results of 2004. I hope in November of this year, people will flock to the polls and employers will allow their employees to come in later. (In Europe, elections are held on Sundays - no one has to worry about missing an hour's wage).


I am excited about Election '08. I'm not giving up hope that people care after all. And if it's the novel spectrum of candidates that draws voters - so be it! Following the developments leading up to the election is exciting in itself. Dirty politics, raw politics, politically incorrect politics, hopes, fears, kissing babies, eating fried food and going bowling! The media coverage is sad at best (it was ridiculous in '04) but watching them discuss Hillary's cleavage and Barak's flag pin like it's a life or death manner is entertaining nonetheless - infotainment certainly earned it's classification. Viewers are getting their daily wrap up from political satire shows rather than from 'serious' news outlets. But I have to agree, I know more about what's been going on after watching John Stewart and Stephen Colbert than listening to Wolf Blitzer and Sean Hannity.


I'm excited to be living in the US during these times. This is history in the making.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made in Styria - Improved in California: Ich über mich

No one should ever have to appologize for their accomplishments

Repatriation Nation